I hear you’ll have some iron-man capabilities you can use starting tomorrow. I can’t wait to see them!
So, the elevator speech version of what we need to do is to “track the ongoing usage for XSEDE delivered software and services for use in ROI analysis”.
There are three basic pieces:
1) Gathering component specific usage and sending it to a central usage repository
2) Managing the contents of the central usage repository
3) Usage analysis
About 1) Gathering component specific usage:
We are spinning up separate activities to enhance specific components to record usage information. Some tools already track usage in Apache or as syslog entries. Others will need to be enhanced to do so. We don’t need you to worry about this piece of work other than to recognize that we will have apache, syslog, and other usage logs that need to make it into a central repository. We will use scp or other simple methods to move server usage logs to our central repository.
About 3) Usage analysis:
We would like to replicate our central usage repository in XDMod so that they can build the sophisticated usage analysis interfaces, so we don’t need you to worry about sophisticated usage analysis. If tools you find have some basic analysis functionality, that’s OK.
Now part 2) central usage repository is the part we need you to focus on:
We need software that can manage a repository of component usage/access information in flat files or a database, to include:
- What component and version was used
- When the usage happened/started (UTC time)
- Where usage happened (client and/or server)
- Who initiated the usage (local operating system user and/or XSEDE identity)
- Usage parameters or flags (Apache URLs could be considered a parameter)
- When the usage finished (UTC time)
- Resources consumed