CVMFS is a scalable remote filesystem service that provides read-only access to remotely hosted filesystems. It is used in the Open Science Grid, Compute Canada, and Galaxy communities.
Several XSEDE SPs already support use of CVMFS on their resources, including PSC's Bridges, TACC's Stampede2, and Indiana University & TACC's Jetstream.
We need a coordination mechanism for CVMFS analogous to how we coordinate other common XSEDE features, such as SSH login services, Globus, and the common user environment. Features of the coordination mechanism should include:
- An XSEDE deployment plan with associated design & security review
- Documentation for SP administrators to help them deploy CVMFS within the XSEDE environment
- Registration of CVMFS availability in the XSEDE software & services registry
- Notice of the option of deploying CVMFS on the XSEDE SP dashboard
- User documentation on the XSEDE website